It depends in part on how you are connected.

For sending mail, any of the usual MTAs will work -- sendmail, smail, exim,
qmail. Any decent distribution will have one or more of them -- the biggest
ones should have them all to select from. People disagree about which is "best".

For receiving mail, it depends on whether you use SMTP or POP3/IMAP. The
MTAs above provide SMTP receipt. fetchmail (included with all the big
distributions) is the standard POP client for downloading to your server.
Some mail readers (e.g. Netscape, newer version of pine) will let you read
mail directly from the ISP's server.

At 03:10 PM 10/4/99 -0400, Chris Job wrote:
>Can any-one tell me what is/are the best program(s) to use for
>sending/receiving email while I'm connected to my ISP?
>Also, where do I get information on the recommended program(s)?

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]