I'd like to once again thank all of you wonderful gurus who tried to help me
with my problem of connecting my SCSI Zip drive unit to my laptop via my
 Adaptec slimSCSI PCMCIA card.

I have kernel 2.2.5, which comes stock with Red Hat 6.0, and I was about
to upgrade to kernel 2.2.12, when I was flamed for saying so. Someone said
that the support I was looking for is included in kernel 2.2.5.

I thought it might be helpful for anyone looking to repeat my success, and
interesting for anyone who racked their brain trying to provide advice.

Apparently, the kernel aha152x driver, used for Adaptec 16-bit SCSI adapters,
has a PCMCIA compatibility problem that was fixed in 2.2.9. The effect is that
interrupts are ignored, unless the card happens to be configured for an irq
between, and including, 9-12.

Since I didn't upgrade, I was able to add a line to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts,
which reads: module "aha152x_cs"opts "irq_list=9,10,11,12"

Low and behold, upon reboot I said: mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip and it
did!

Thanks again for your patience and help!
--
Richard Spencer
running Linux Red Hat 6.0 & kernel 2.2.5