--- luciano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Everywhere i read about not using the root account
> all the time, but i
> don't see where's the problem in doing it.
> I use linux on 1 machine not conected to a lan, only
> with a dial
> up connection to internet. My question is, it's
> really necesary for me
> to have another account besides root (i'm the only
> one who uses linux
> in this pc)?

When working on a machine, you would probably be
tempted to find out where everything is stored and how
it works.  And so you would start "playing around with
it" by making changes to config files and looking at
what happens.  However, if you don't have a clear
picture of what you are doing, you may corrupt your
system very havily.
By creating a user account, you can "play around"
safely with your system.

Eugene.