Hello,

I think you are looking for a short cut to handle a bunch of files.

Here is a script that will do this for you:

 #!/bin/sh
 #
 for file in $1
 do
   echo "1d\nw\nq" | ed -s $file
 done

Let's call this script cut1.sh

The above is bourne shell, but it should work the same if you
specify #!/bin/bash on the first line instead.

You invoke cut1.sh by entering a regular expression in single
quotes on the command line.  For example:

 $cut1.sh 'cr*'

removes the first lines from all files that begin with cr in the current
directory.  Of course, the script must have execute permissions (chmod +x
<name_of_script).

The above script uses ed for editing each file. "1d\nw\nq" says
delete the first line (1d), write the file (w), and quit (q).
The \n are newline characters between the commands.  You could
use sed as in the following:

#!/bin/sh
#
for file in $1
do
  cat $file | sed '1d' > tmp$$
  mv tmp$$ $file
done

The problem with sed is that it copies the input stream, edits it,
and sends it to the output stream making you use some kind of tmp file.  The
older ed program copies the data to a buffer, edits it,
and writes it back to the original file.

John Baskette