Hello everyone.

This isn't a Linux-specific question although some of you gotta know.

I need the low-down on the standard convention on organizing a fileserver.

I am having a run-in with some people I work with and I believe them to be
full of lawn sausages.

here it is....................
Say, you have a 10GB hard drive and that is your fileserver.
We have three departments - a small Civil Engineering firm/20 users and
they all access a directory on this central drive called "projects",
Softdesk/AutoCAD also requires this directory too.  It is backed up
everynite on trusty tape.  There are no applications running on this
machine, no mail either.  Just strict file serving.

1.  Is that fileserver allowed to grow until full capacity and then purged,
or should it be purged on some sort of regular basis?

2.  When it is purged, are the files just deleted (since there has been a
backup each nite) or are they put somewhere else?  Sometimes old job files
are needed, even after a project has been built.

3.  Can the directory possibly get too large? Where it will slow down user
access?

See, these people think that if the fileserver grows too large, it will
slow down access time to it.  Now I am aware of file fragmentation and all
that, but this seems moot, especially since the drive is an IDE, as well as
on a peer-to-peer - these are things that if changed would really increase
speed - like switchs and SCSI and stuff...

What it comes down to, I believe, is that these people are just too lazy to
scroll down in Windows Explorer on their NT stations.

For those sysadmins out their, I'd really love to know what your doing.

Thanks,

linux rules.

B i l l y