On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 07:35:37PM -0200, F.V.V. wrote:
> Hello

> PLEASE HELP ! /\ !

> I installed Linux on a PC, trying to create an intranet server. DNS, WWW,
> FTP, e-mail and Real Audio server. I hope, my Linux box will do all this one
> day.

> So far I alone got DNS working and Apache is humming along just fine with a
> few virtual domains.

> Now, I am suffering with mail. I have sendmail up and running, responding
> happily on port 25 (SMTP). When I try to send mail, it goes through briskly.

> But - the box seems not to work as a POP3 server. Nothing is responding on
> port 110.

> What shall I do ???

        Do you have a pop-3 server installed or configured?  Check
/etc/inetd.conf for a line about pop-3 and make sure it's not commented
out.  Then check to make sure that you installed pop-3 (it's part of the
imap packager under RedHat).

        Some of these things are not installed or enabled by default to
make sure you know they are there and have them configured before offering
the service to the internet.  Older versions of Pop and Imap were notorious
for security holes.  They're better now, but nobody wants them enabled
by default.

> Thanks for any help
> Frank

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/