You need to add a proper line in /etc/modules.conf to tell
the system what module it should load when you
access something using scsi. On my system it is:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha1740

this way, the kernel will know what module to insmod by itself.
you could also do the insmod in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, to insmod
the driver just after booting (this will not work if you atempt to mount
the cdrom in another /etc/rc.d/init.d file since rc.local is executed
at the end of the init scripts. You should rather use the first method i
described.
pascal