The kernel is telling you that it can't find a CD-ROM-drive-based filesystem
on /dev/hdc . This may be true for any of several reasons, such as

        ... your CD-ROM is at a different location
                /dev/hda        =       IDE primary master
                /dev/hdb        =       IDE primary slave
                /dev/hdc        =       IDE secondary master
                /dev/hdd        =       IDE secondary slave
                /dev/sd*        =       various scsi devices
                watch the kernel messages at boot, or check dmesg,
                        to see if and where the kernel is finding
                        a CD-ROM device during boot

        ... you don't have ATAPI CD-ROM support in your kernel
                (this is what the error message is hinting at -- you
                might need to add the appropriate module using insmod
                or modprobe -- read the man pages on insmod, depmod, and
                modprobe for details -- this is unlikely unless you are
                using either an ancient or oddball Linux distribution)

        ... you have a non-standard CD-ROM that is not supported by
                the kernel (this may also be what the error message is
                suggesting, but if so, you have an old drive ... all
                modern PCs I know use ATAPI drives, standard drives
                that connect as an IDE device).

        ... you don't have a readable CD in the drive. The "mount"
                command mounts filesystems, not evices as such, and
                it can't "mount" an empty CD drive or one that contains,
                say, a music CD.

At 12:00 PM 10/29/99 -0400, Rod Upfold wrote [in part]:
>Having problems with mounting my cdrom.....
>mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
>
>the computers goes off to the twilight zone and then comes back and says:
>
>the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
>driver')
>
>What is a insmod driver and what am I doing wrong....

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]