Greetings Linux-Users:

  I am having a slight problem with a new system that I just put together.
 It is an IBM PS2/Valuepoint 486/66 with 16mb ram and a 15 inch monitor
with the same name on it.  I have installed RedHat 4.2 (Biltmore) on the
system, and I am having no luck in getting X-Windows to start.

 I learned the following from IBM's website:
Chipset: s3 86c805, c-step (port probed)
Memory: 1024 kb
RamDac: AT&T 20c491 15/16/24-bit DAC

>From what I gathered from the monitor, it is 640x480x16 (60, 72 Hz, NL)

Now, I ran xf86config and set my system up to run xwindows.  I selected the
proper chipset and memory, but when it came to the ramDac and the monitor,
I had to guess.  I chose the AT&T 20c490 (S3 & AGX servers, ARK driver) for
the RAMDAC selection (it was the closest to 20c491) and for my monitor I
chose the only IBM on the list. (in xf86config I selected a 640x480 @ 60
Hz.)

When I run startx, I get a line or two of color in a flicker, then the
monitor goes black.  The system is still on, but it becomes unresponsive
and I need to Manually shut down power as not even control alt delete works
(control, alt backspace doesn't knock me back to the prompt either)

My actual question is two-fold.
1. Can someone tell me what the monitor specs mean. I know what 640x480 is,
but what is 16? What is the 60, and what does NL stand for?
2. Any ideas how I can get this system to run xwindows?

Any help is appriciated.
John