Ishaaq K Chandy wrote:

<snip>

> I'm trying to use a memory intensive program: AnyJ for Linux. The
> problem is that I only have 32MB of RAM and a 64MB swap partition. It's
> taking ages to load up. So I thought I would create a swap file, this is
> what I did:
This will make things _not_ faster! Buying another Ram stick will.

> touch /path/newfile
dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/newfile bs=1k count=65536
> mkswap /path/newfile 65536
mkswap /path/newfile
> swapon /path/newfile
>
> Then I ran AnyJ. However after some time I got errors that went
> *something* like this:
>
> bad swap file ...
> bad swap file ..
>
> What am I missing?
You need to actually allocate blocks on disk for the swapfile. It will
not grow dynamically. Therefore the dd command above is needed.

<snip>

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)