I've really enjoyed creating kickstart files in the past for redhat distros,
but since 6.1, I haven't been able to find a kickstart file.  I'm fearful to
use a kickstart file with older version syntax, since I read that Redhat
updated it to a python-type scripting ability.

The HOWTO on kickstarts is *really* out of date, and I can't even find a
sample .ks file anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

Also, on another note, I changed a 100-computer (win9x's on 100mbps
ethernet) company's server over to linux last weekend.  It went great!  I
loaded RH6.1 for them:
        File sharing with samba as a login server is going great!  I use kixstart
for mapping drive letters and lpt's, and it updates the virus def's at login
too.  Of course this only works on win9x, because I wasn't brave enough to
go with samba 2.1.x code just yet.

        Being a gatewayis *way* better than on NT.  With NT, you have to have all
real IP addy's for the network, or shell out some bucks for a proxy.  With
linux, the proxy (and masq'ing) is free.  That was a plus for the company.

        Also on NT, the backup software (seagate backup exec 7.0.727) was crashing
every once and a while and the service had to be restarted.  But I've never
seen nor heard of tar crashing on linux. :-)
        Printer sharing isn't needed.  JetDirect cards are able to be their own
print servers.

        The company (a non-profit) couldn't afford any database servers, but now
with postgres and mysql, I'm getting them into those abilities.

        IIS4 was never stable on NT, so they never had that ability.  Now the
company is enjoying developing their very own Intranet.

After moving everyone to the linux box, the first day monday was pretty
hectic as I fixed spelling errors and security masks.  But Tuesday was
pretty quiet.  I'm didn't do any performance testing, but it seems to be
*much* faster file transfers.  In fact, my manager has huge 150mb
spreadsheets that he loads each morning, and he mentioned that they load in
about 1 minute instead of 2.  On NT, even under heavy load, it seemed that
mem usage never went past about 100mb of the available 384mb.  On Linux, I
watch the memory load go straight to about 350/380mb at 8:00am in the
morning (I assume the memory is cacheing reads from the hdd).

My next project for this client is to set some boxes up with remote boot.

Dan Browning
Network Administrator
Cyclone Computer Systems