At 12:36 AM 11/12/99 -0300, Jose Albores wrote [in part]:
>Gerry Mullins wrote:
>> 1.  I know I've seen this before, but how to I enable root to login from
>> anywhere? If not on the console, it won't let root login (sure, sure, I can
>> login as myself and su.)
>>

>AFAIK, under Linux, root may login from anywhere. Maybe you have had
>experience with FreeBSD?

As other responses to the original question have suggested, this isn't so.
In general, root can log in directly (that is, without going through a
different userid and su'ing over) only from terminal devices that are
designated as secure.

Might you be a Slackware user? Slackware has long included several telnet
devices in its /etc/securettys file, making it seem like there was no
restriction. More tough-minded distributions (Debian from my own experience,
and I think Red Hat and its cousins as well) allow root logins by default
only from the console.

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]