On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, John Starkey wrote:

> > What type and make/model is the modem.
>
> It's a Gateway Telepath 33.6
>
> > If its a pci device
>
> ISA
>
> > You have been told how to use setserial to look for it as well.
>
> [root@ /root]# setserial -g /dev/ttyS* |grep -v unknown
> /dev/ttyS1, UART:  16550A,  Port:   0x02f8,   IRQ:  3

Be careful, the detected IRQ is the default one. Serial IRQs are NOT
probed. If your hardware uses a different IRQ, it will NOT work. I seem to
remember (can be wrong) that older kernels might have autodetected the
IRQ, which could explain RH4.2 working, but I can be dreaming this.

Frank

> > About that script, i have one started, it works but i want to see what some
> > others think of the idea before i put it in a place whre you all can get at
> > it.
>
> Ok..... good luck. I'm not a complete idiot. Must look that way. If I knew the
> sequence of events between wanting to connect to the net (which commands to use)
> and getting a dial tone I'd probably be able to troubleshoot it. But this stuff is
> too scattered. I still don't see any definitive pattern in this event (for lack
> of).
>
> > Lik i said before, if as you say it worked with 4.2 then it _will_ work
> > with 6.0.
>
> That's why I can't give up on this.
>
> Now, btw, I have a machine that won't even load X. But I don't want X or even Linux
> on it. It's gonna be my ddreaded cause-I-hafta machine for school.
>
> But that is why I am unable to compare what I did in 4.2 to what's happening here.
> I could spend another 4 hours force feeding 4.2 into this machine and loading 6.1
> in the other. But it would screw up the we are taking. But that is an option
> when/if you guys think I should.
>

> > > John
> > --
> > Regards Richard
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/
> > Merry Xmas.

HI! I'm a .signature virus! cp me into your .signature file to help me spread!