On Wed, 22 Dec 1999,  Richard Adams wrote about , Re: can't get X to run:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999,  Mike Miller wrote about,  Re: can't get X to run:
> > Yes I looked at Cards with more and found nothing. I also ran "
> > grep MediaGX Cards " and " grep mediagx Cards " and found
> > nothing. It looks like this version does not support MediaGX.
>
> Oops, just a minute, lets get this correct, you used grep "MediaGX Cards"
> That will return __nothing__ even if "MediaGX" is there, so what i mean is,
> do not grep for a sentance or saying, grep for _words_.
> Use;
>
> grep MediaGX /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
>
> That is how the word in question is spelled.
> Grep is very unrewarding in the case you used.
> Even if it was there it would not show it.

I had beter say that again but this time in words one can understand.

grep will find only what it is asked to find.
In this case;
grep MediaGX Cards
was used, as that was the text from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Even if he had used;
grep -e MediaGX Cards
It would return an error saying
cards no such file or directory, it needs to be,
grep -e "MediaGX Cards" /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
The result of which wil be zero, that being because the text in that file
is,
NAME MediaGX
CHIPSET mediagx
SERVER SVGA
NOCLOCKPROBE

The correct command would be;
grep MediaGx

I thought it fitting to write this reply because i have been tikked of 3
times today, once by a person who knows what he is talking about when it
comes to Linux, two, someone said my script about cp'ing a file will create
20000 copies, which in my opinion is not true, three, i wrote the first