CAT 5 is 8 wires (4pair),  Ethernet uses only wires
1,2,3,6 , but they have to be in the right series. I'm
bad at pairs, but a normal cable is wired

ONE END              THe OTHER END
1 orange-white ---> green-white
2 Orange ---------> green
3 Green-white ----> orange-white
4 Blue-white -----> blue-white
5 Blue -----------> blue
6 Green ----------> orange
7 Brown-white-----> brown-white
8 Brown ----------> brown

So a CAT 5 cross over.. you would swap the Orange and
Green pairs this is what I use in my home right now and
everyday at work I KNOW this works. Good luck

Mike Tvarkunas
Dist Dir of Information Technology
East Mississippi Community College

Quoting Ray Olszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> At 02:30 PM 12/22/99 -0600, Michael Daniels wrote:
> >Paul,
> >A cross-over cable is a Cat5 cable with two pair of
the wires inside
> >switched.  Pairs 3&4 and 2&6 I believe.  If you have
the correct tools you
> >can make your own or you can purchase one at your
local computer store.

> Not quite. The correct wiring for a crossover cable is
>
>         1 -- 2
>         2 -- 1
>         3 -- 6
>         6 -- 3