Hi, I am new to Linux and have recently installed Red Hat 6.0 on my Intel
166 MMX box duel booting with Windows 95.

When I do a 'uname -a' it reports I am running kernel version 2.2.5-22 (I
don't understand what the -22 bit means).

I am trying to find out what would be involved in bringing my kernel source
up to date (or the latest stable version anyway) before trying to compile my
own kernel. I see from the kernel web sites that the latest stable version
is 2.2.13. As the machine I have Linux installed on has no access to the
internet transferring the 11 meg or so of source will be a bit of a pain,
however I see there are patch files of a much more manageable size out
there.

My questions are,

1) Are there any documents available regarding these patch files? I cannot
find any on the kernel sites themselves.
2) Do you need to apply each intermediate patch in turn or can you simply
apply the latest one?
i.e. do I need to apply 2.2.6 then 2.2.7 then 2.2.8, etc. or can I just
simply apply 2.2.13?
3) I am assuming these patch files patch the source for the kernel and not
the executables, am I correct in this assumption?
4) Does the '-22' in my '2.2.5-22' have any relevance to what I am trying to
do?

Thanks for your time,

        Brian Sanderson.