On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 01:28:19PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> I've been using ps ax and have a couple questions.
>
> The first number-- the "PID". Is that the port #?

PID stands for Process IDentification.  It has no relation to port
number that I've ever heard of.

> How are these assigned?

They are assigned sequentially by the system as I remember.

> And there is an entry right now that I don't remember seeing:
>
> 676    ?        S        0:00    in.identd    -e    -o
>
> It is in there 11 times. From 676 to 686.

That means there are 11 copies of in.identd running, with IDs of
676 through 686.  I'm not very familiar with identd, so I have no idea
if it's usual for there to be that many copies.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"