AFAIK, Mandrake is an rpm based distro.
If so, you may try the following command to see if
joe-VERSION-RELEASE.i386.rpm is installed:
        $ rpm -qa | grep -i joe
rpm keeps a database with info about every installed package.
The "-qa" option lets you "query all" installed packages. If joe is
installed piping (|) will find it.
Second method:
You MUST login as root and type the following:
        # updatedb &
and give it some time, depending on how many files are present in your
system.
When "updatedb" finished, you may issue the following:
        $ locate bin/joe
or:
        $ which joe
If any binary called "joe" is installed, you'll get some answer.
If it's not installed, maybe it's in yur CD:
        # mkdir /mnt
        # mkdir /mnt/cdrom
        # mount -t iso9660 /dev/hd? /mnt/cdrom
where /dev/hd? maybe /dev/hdb1 or hdb2... depending on how is your
CD-ROM plugged in yur CPU: primary or secondary and master or slave!
And after mounting yur CD:
        # find /mnt/cdrom -iname "*joe*"
If u find joe in yur CD, install with:
        # rpm -Uhv /path-to/joe-VERSION-REL.rpm