On Fri, 07 Jan 2000,  Jeroen Van de Voorde wrote about,  Changing hardware:
> Hi all,
>
> Planning to upgrade a pc running Linux Slackware 7.0 on a AMD 233MMX to
> the same HW except I'm
> gonna change it to a PII 300 and an AGP Videocard.
> Just to make sure, this is what I plan to do:
> 1 Compile a new kernel with support for the PII (guess that's PPRO
> family)

Ray explaned about BIOS situations.

A new kernel will not be nessacary for starting off, the old one will do
fine, after you have reconfigured everything to your satisfaction, then
would be the time to recompile a kernel, or at least thats what i would do,
that way one can compare computer speed and find any minor problems much
easier.

> 2 Configure LILO so I can choose between the original and the new
> kernel
>
> 3 Change the HW
> 4 Boot system, start LILO with the new kernel
> 5 Reconfigure X
> Is this the right way?

Basicly yes, your correct, however think about what i typed above first,
there is of course nothing wrong in doing what you type.

A word about AGP cards.

I myself have just brought a cheapo 8Mb SiS 6326, they are in abundance at
the minute here in Holland so i imagen they are in Belguim too.
Anyway i am talking in general not SiS..

I had problems with video acceleration, it turns out that the XF86_SVGA
driver which most of the AGP cards use is either buggy or does not support
all AGP cards for 100%.

I took a look at www.xfree86.com and saw that suse have drivers which are
written with workarounds for most of the problems, the address is;
http://www.suse.de/en/support/xsuse/

If you indeed have brought a SiS 6326 then the driver which works the best
is called XFCom_SiS.
Its easy to install, however the instructions on the home page are
missleading when you have a slackware system, if you use this driver send
me a mail i will then tell you howto install it the easy way.

I hope this will help you and others, i have seen some questions about AGP
problems here before.

BTW;
The SuSe workarounds will be included in the next xfree86 release.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]