On This Day, in the Year of Our Lord 13 Jan 00, at 8:02, thus spake Ray Olszewski :

Weird.  My message appeared after I got replies to it.

Ray, as usual, thank you:

>     1. Are you connecting to a news site that will serve you? If
>     the configuration work was occasioned by a service change
>     (e.g., dialup to DSL), your old news server may be refusing to
>     connect to you at all. (To test this: telnet from the Linux
>     router to port 119  on the news server, or simply run a news
>     client on the Linux host and verify that you can get service
>     there.)

The Linux box can connect to port 119 without any problems.
Also, we just noticed (heh), that we can't surf.  The site gets a
"connected" but nothing loads.  Of course we can ping it, and we
also can surf the web from the Linux machine.

>     2. Check for any ipchains rules that affect port 119, the nntp
>     port.

None there.  If you want, I can send you the rules we have set up
for Ipchains, being there a total of three.  I'll have my friend send
them to me.

>     3. Am I correct in assuming that other services -- telnet,
>     ftp, http, dns -- work fine from the Win98 machine? Or might
>     the problem be more general?

I had my friend test everything.  The only things that don't work are
ICQ's option to send files (that probably easily fixable by telling ICQ
that it is behind a firewall), news and web.  Everything else, so far,
works like a charm.

Mind you, in our sheer ignorance, we probably buggered something
up, somewhere.

Thanks Ray,
leandro
---
Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro (LA672)
Capital of Nasty Electronic Magazine - ISSN 1482-0471
Editor in Chief - http://www.capnasty.org