At 08:05 PM 1/26/99 +0800, jz wrote:
>Hi,
>I just setup my X but fail.
>I use setup and choose X configure.

This sort of stuff is not standard; it varies quite a bit by Linux
distribution and version. You should mention what flavor of Linux you are
running.

>My AGP card is Trident Blade 3D with 8Mb ram.
>I choose the Trident CyberBlade (generic). Is it right?

Well, the place to check this is at URL
        http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

The current cardlist (that is, the one for CFree86-3.3.6) doesn't have a
listing for "CyberBlade", but it does list about a dozen other Trident
cards, all of which use the SVGA server. So if that is the server being
selected, it is a good bet; possibly one of th 4 Cyber listings there is
your cars, under a variant of its name (something you can check better than
anyone else, since you have the card at hand to inspect).

>My monitor is PHILIPS 105G. I choose 105B.

Well ... the place to check for info on Philips monitors is URL
        http://www.pcstuff.philips.com/monitors.html

There, they list:

        a "105B11", a 15" monitor with these specs: "Autoscan
                covers horizontal frequencies up to 70 kHz
                offering a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024
                with flicker free display of 800 x 600 at up
                to 112 Hz."

        a "105MB" with these specs: "It supports resolutions of
                up to 1280 x 1024 (60Hz), non-interlaced and
                ergonomic refresh rates of up to 85Hz (1024 x 768)."

There is also a "105S" that I did not bother to check.

>From that, I'd *guess* that "105B" is not a good substitute for "105G". Your
best bet is to get the monitor specs (mainly the horizontal and vertical
scan rates) from the manual and enter them by hand (easy to do using
xf86config; I don't know what "setup" offers you in the way of customization).

>After probe,I have test the 8bit 16bit 24bit mode.

What resolutions did you enable?

>But just black screen!:(

Check your error output. This normally goes to the screen (stderr), but you
can redirect it to a file. If you use "startx" to run X, you'd do it like this:

        startx >/tmp/xerrors 2>&1

More than anything else, this is the way to diagnose X problems. It is
possible that your setup selections provided the X server with no working
combination of resolution and color depth. The stderr output will indicate this.

>I use the XFree86-3.3.5
>Someone help me!

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]