Sorry, I did not state my problem clearly yesterday.
My computer is Dell OptiPlex GX1. The OS is Window NT. I partition the
HD by NT first and leave about 3G unpartition space for Linux. I am
using Linux-Mandrake 6.0. This is actually the same as red hat. I booted
up by installation CD. Then follow the installation instruction. The
problem happened when it came to Installation Class. "What type of
machine are you installing?" I chose Workstation at this point. I got an
answer there is not enough space for this selection! I have to choose
Custom. Then, I used Disk Druid to make partition. the following is the
partition result.
hda1      2047M    DOS
hda3      2863M    Linux native
hda4      133M      linux swap
hda5      1106M    DOS
When I tried to continue, I got the responce:  The kernel is unable to
read your new partition information. Probably becasue you modeified
extended partition. You must reboot.........  ?
Here is my question.
Where is hda2? why it is not displayed here?
How to make a supplementary partition to load the /usr and /home
directories.