It is *probably* not a problem that the modem says it is for Macintosh. But
it might be -- I've seen many an odd modem in my day, and I recall one
external modem that got its **power** from a Macintosh ADB port. You won't
get that working on an Intel box. It's also possible that some of the
default settings are abit different -- check its configuration (the AT
command for this isn't wuite standard, so look at the modem's manual.

The serial-port connection is *definitely* not a problem ... all external
modems (until recently, as USB has arrived) connect to serial ports --
though you may need to replace a Mac cable with one that connects to a PC's
serial port (Mac serial ports use a mini-DIN-8 (9?) connector; PCs use a
DB25 or a similar 9-pin connector).

Among the HowTos at http://www.linuxdoc.org are a Modem HowTo and a PPP
HowTo; they are good places to get started.

At 12:24 AM 1/26/00 -0500, Karthik Vishwanath wrote:
>I had realised earlier with the help of people on this list that the
>modem that came with my machine was one of the many "WinModems". So, I had
>to continue using Windo$e.. till maybe now.. I have obtained a US
>Robotics External modem from a friend. But it says on the modem that its
>for Macintosh. Does that mean anything? Secondly, it connects to my
>serial port (which is not a problem with me as my mouse can goto the COM
>port), but will that work on Linux?
>
>I have no idea how I must set a modem up in Linux and get to a point where
>I can start to telnet atleast and till I am able to do that I will not be
>able to use Linux. Can someone point out places where I will find info on
>how I can connect to the world with Linux?

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]