Lawson wrote:

... I don't think they make modems that can be configured by hand with
jumpers anymore, so you may have to get to know isapnptools better than
you'd like. ...

Lawson

Well, I also believed that, but to my surprise I bought a 3Com/US Robotics
V.90 ISA Modem (Voice Internal, blah blah blah), and it comes with jumpers
and no plu-and-play. Windows won't even recognize it at boot, or when
probing for pnp devices, so I had to install it by hand for Win98 to use
it. I required it to have jumpers, but the vendor was unable to find one
for almost two months because of the Christmas holidays.
It worked first time with Linux (and Windows), is extremely fast (for a 56k
modem, of course) and has noise filters (that was what the vendor said, but
I believe him because the connection never hangs up).
I thought I might give you some feedback on the issue.
I should also say that I am using Linux for 02 months, reading and learning
a lot about everything, and I love Linux. I feel like a child with a new toy.
Now I need to install a zip-drive, printer and CD Burner, but before I post
any question, I will read the how-tos and faqs.

Bye!

Otto Pintiaski