Here is a possiblity for you:

    http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

This is a version of the Korn shell written for windows (written by David
Korn who wrote the original).  It supports most unix commands and utilities
including gzip, split and cat.

It is not "free software," but you can download it and use it for free for
research, educational or evaluation purposes.  I view my occasional use as
falling into those catagories.

I used it recently to sneaker net some binaries I got off the net from a
windows box I use at work.  I was able to tar and gzip the files, split them
using split, and write them to floppies.  My Red Hat 6.1 distribution came
with the mtools package.  I used the mtools command mcopy to read the files
off the floppies, then used cat to join the file pieces together.

If you went this route, you would need to unzip the files and used gzip
instead.

John Baskette
ex. 4385