On Wed, 26 Jan 2000,  John Starkey wrote about,  Boot Hangs......:
> On rebooting my 2 Linux boxes I get hangs on each of them.
>
> My girlfriends box, which I am in the process of converting from Windows
> 98, hangs at "Starting Random Number Generator". And my box, from which
> I just pulled my modem card to install in hers, hangs at "Starting
> System Log". I have to do a hard boot on hers. Mine just continues after
> a few minutes.
>
> I have heard of the system log, and I think it has something to do with
> the contents of inittab??? Is it the instructions for booting the
> system???

Nope nothing at all toto with inittab, but possably everything to do with
your hostname, or at least if your hostname is unresolvable at that time,
ie its not defined in /etc/hosts then your system might try and do a dns
lookup, but then if PPP or you modem is not active (on line) then you will
have to wait for syslog to time out before the machine will boot further.

Remedy, define your hostname in /etc/hosts, or at least i would.

> But the Random Number Generator???? Could someone explain it's use???
> Where would Random Numbers be used (maybe PID's)??

Has to do with PAM (passwds) i belive.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]