One piece of your posting confuses me. You write: "I can't do a ping on the
nameservers I used to dial up ...." How do you "use" nameservers to dial up?

That aside, it sounds like a routing problem. After the ppp connection is
made, what does your routing table look like ("route -n" gives the display I
find most sueful)? Does it show (a) a route to the remote ppp address and
(b) that address as default gateway?

Also, when you say you cannot ping IP addresses, you you mean *addresses*,
not hostnames?

Finally, have you tried any service other than ping? Some ISP routers used
to block icmp packets (due their use in denial-of-service attacks), but I
haven't seen that for some time now. Still, you might see if, say, you can
telnet to port 53 of the nameservers.