Hi !

        After getting several things working the way i want, i run into a problem
with my ftp service i want to offer. I use RH 6.1 and have the ftp daemon
installed that came with it. Anonymous logins and file transfers work fine
from my RH5.2 and my W98 box. But i want to offer my ftp server to a
selected group of persons. I know that any accessable service from the
outside is a security risk, so i want to do the following things to make it
a little bit more secure:

        - disable the anonymous account (no anonymous logins possible)
        - create / enable an account called e.g. davesguest with a specific
password which has only access to the ftp-directory (as the anonymous has/had)
        - link a mounted windoze partition to the /pub directory in a way that it
can be accessed via ftp
        - upload possibility either to the mounted windoze partition or to an
upload directory in the ftp section (i personally don't care, i take what
you experts say is the best)

        Main aim is to provide ftp services, but that not someone who detects this
service can log in as anonymous user. Right now i have a dial up account
with floating IP, but this is a problem on the client side, they have to
type in my actual ip to connect. After i moved i will have cable modem
access with static IP. To cut it short: I want to offer a non-public ftp
server with an account that has access limited to the ftp section of my
linux box. I know that it is a permission problem, but i have no clue how
to determine which user is allowed to acces what when and where.
        The reason why i want to link a mounted windoze partition is that i want
to be able to access the files on that partition no matter which OS i am
running...and Windoze is too dumb to see anything else than FAT.

        What i tried until now was creating a new user, giving it a password and
placing the home dir to /home/ftp and i set this account to be member of
the ftp group. I did this with linuxconf and received as result that the
user could browse my whole system and had no access to the linked windoze
partition. I linked the partition which is mounted at /mnt/win with ln -s
/mnt/win when i was in the ftp/pub directory. I had no problems accessing
it within the same system, but using an ftp client to access and list this
directory failed with a transmission failure (i used TkFTP).

        Is there a way to get it working the way i want ?

        Now here is question number 2:
I read in the kmail faq that kmail can use the mailboxes from Eudora no
problem. As stated above i run W98 and Linux on the same box and i want to
check my email no matter what OS i am using. But it doesn't make much sense
to spread my email over two systems. Using the capability of kmail reading
and writing to Eudora mailboxes i want to do the following:
        mount the windoze drive where the eudora mailboxes are and create links to
these files within my directory (which would be /home/dave). Is there a
chance that this could work ? Is there a difference between linking a file
from a fat drive and a ext2 drive ?
        I haven't tried it yet, so this just asking if someone had experience with
this.

                        Thank you for any reply....even if u want to flame me for using
Windoze. ;)

                                        Greez

                                                Dave