On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 06:37:08PM -0500, Kervin wrote:
> you probably don't want to remove rc scripts.
>
> to manually disable startup scripts rename the script with a small 's'
> to manually disable kill scripts rename the script with a small 'k'
>
> This works in solaris and I think it works on Redhat as well.
>
> At any rate redhat has a utility called 'ntsysv' that manages startup programs

This doesn't remove any scripts. The way sysV bootup works is that
all scripts are stored $SOMEWHERE/init.d/ and then there are symlinks
to $SOMEWHERE/rc<runlevel>.d/ for each program that you want to run
at each runlevel. $SOMEWHERE depends on linux distribution. In Debian
it's /etc, in Redhat it's /etc/rc.d/ .

All I'm suggesting he do is remove the symlink that runs lpd from
the directory which contains scripts for his default runlevel.
The script will still be in $SOMEWHERE/init.d/

have fun

greg

--
this is not here