Afraid those are all the ideas I have, about your original question. It's
really puzzling -- *bash* is claiming an inability to find /dev/lp1? You've
tried it in that form? Yet "ls -l /dev/pl*" DOES find /dev/lp1? I'm stumped.

A couple of comments beolw on new pieces of your question.

At 01:15 PM 2/5/00 -0700, John Starkey wrote [in part]:
>Thanks for the reply Ray.
>
>Still doesn't work.
>
>> Not sure what your problem is, but here are thing to check.

>> 4. Are you loading the parport module (or do you have parport support in the
>> kernel)?
>
>I couldn't find anything about parport in man, help, or info. Is this short for
>paperport?

No. Look in /lib/modules/your_kernel_version/modules.dep to see that I have
the name right. It's the new way that parallel ports get supported in kernel
2.2.x.

>Isn't there a way to ping accessories? To find out if there is a physical route
>to them? That would make life really easy. Especially my problems with the
>mouse, NIC, modem, and this one. Somebody has to have found a way.

Not a general one. Accessories are different (and you don't really mean
"ping", which is something specific to IP datagrams ... actually, so is
"route"). The devices that "accessories" connect to are varied, as are the
ways Linux (or any OS) identifies them. I don't know how one probes for
parallel-port devices; the BIOS display (shown before the LILO prompt,
usually) tells you what parallel ports are physically present in the system.