[cross-posted lists removed from this response]

At 12:50 PM 2/8/00 +0530, rajput g v be comp 56 wrote:
>   i have got a network connection with IP address(192.168.2.26),
>which is a server.when i try connecting to it by telnet ,i do login
>properly.but when i try it with ftp it say's it can't .
>    what should i do so that people can make ftp connection to my
>server.

Run ftpd (the ftp daemon). It is usually run as an inetd service, so edit
/etc/inetd.conf to either add a line for ftp or uncomment the one that is
(probably) already present. Also make sure the ftpd program is on your host
-- I can't tell you how to do that since packaging varies a lot by Linux
distribution, and I don't know which one you are running.

This assumes your problem is with other hosts on your privat network. I note
that your IP address is a private address, so if you are connecting this
host to the outside world, it is through a router that does some sort of
Network Address Translation (for a Linux-based router, this would by IP
Masquerading). To allow outside sites to ftp to your inside server, you'd
need to accommodate that on the router. In a Linux-router context, this is
usually done with ipportfw.