try X-ISP
http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras/

or

wvdial (I can't find web location in my notes, but it should show up in a
search). There is a tcl/tk X front end for this that may give the status
info you want.

I have not used either app. but I have read that they work well.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:21:56 -0500 Chris Bennett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Hello Everybody, I finally have my Server Back up and running thanks
>to all
>of you help, I'm now (once again looking at features to make it easier
>for
>my family to start and stop the PPP connection (through their windows
>machines)
>I have the connection set up with the network scripts in RH 6.1, so
>connect, I type in ifup ppp0, once it's connected it runs a
>firewall/masq
>script then updates the hostname @dyndns.org then sends mail to a
>remote
>account to let me know then they go online (for outside logging
>porpoises,
>now none of them are very computer literate, and I would like a way
>for the
>connect script to kind of give them feed back as to what the
>connection is
>doing, even if it was simply the text that the modem returns, like
>busy,
>voice, no answer so they can tell that it is doing something, because
>otherwise it makes it seem like it is frozen.
>
>Anyone know of such a program? I can't wait till Adsl is available in
>my
>area, then I won't need to worry about it anymore it will just always
>be
>connected, I just attended a LAN Party This weekend, and finally
>managed to
>get a setup that worked for the whole network for Acting as a gateway
>for
>the network and a 2 Way Cable modem, (was a lot easier than I
>suspected, the
>hardest part was finding a spot to put the extra network card as I
>was
>completely out of Expansion Slots. then my sound card was causing an
>IRQ
>conflict with the network card, after that it worked like a charm,
>none of
>the problems that I see all the time about difficulty.

R. Haehnel

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.