telnet into your box, and as root edit /etc/inittab. You may not be able
to telnet in as root if your linux box is set up securely. So you will
have to su to become root.

Change the first uncommented line (line without preceeding #) from state
5 to run state 2 or 3 (it should be documented in inittab whether you
want 2 or 3 depending on your setup). Then save and re-boot.

I have still found that dispite it's text based front end, xf86config is
the tool that is the most reliable for getting X up and running (which
includes monitor configuration).

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:50:22 -0500 Tiezhi Zhang
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I changed a Monitor. When boot up, linux always starts X, I have not
>chance to config monitor. My distribution is Mandrake 6.1. Almost the
>same as RH.
>By the way, what is the best way to config Monitor? Any specical
>tools
>in RH?
>
>Thanks in advance.

R. Haehnel