Much more informative.

>Mdaemon is a piece of software which collects/sends domainpop and pop3 mail
>from/to the ISP. It stores it on the server until the client s/w asks for
>the mail for that user. It is in effect performing the role of a post office
>on a local lan. It has alias accounts, mailing lists, etc.
>
>I wish to be able to move this function from the NT box to a Linux box but
>do not know of any such similar software that is available.

This just sounds like a combination of an smtp daemon (for outgoing mail)
and a pop3 daemon (to deliver mail to the pop clients), though I'm not sure
since I don't know how "domainpop" differs from pop3. If I'm understanding
you correctly, though, this is an off-the-shelf application for Linux. Any
major distribution will install an smtp daemon (possibilities are sendmail,
smail, exim, qmail, and postfix), and installing a pop3 &/or imap4 daemon is
a standard server option under, for example, Red Hat and Debian.

/etc/aliases is the standard way to set up aliases in all the Unix/Linux
smtp MTAs (Mail Transport Agents). pop3 delivery requires actual account
names, but they can easily be set up for no-login. Simple mailing lists can
be done as aliases; complex mailing lists can be managed through a
listmanager such as majordomo or mailman. I don't know if the packages have
enough "etc" for your needs, though.

>Wingate acts as a proxy server allowing all pc's on the lan to surf the web
>via a single modem/cable modem/DSL,..etc connection. It also can be set up
>to perform the functions of a firewall, DHCP server, DNS, etc.

OK. In the Unix/Linux world, "proxy server" is a very specific term, and I'm
not sure that you are using it in the specific way I know it ... a proxy
server doesn't normally do all of the things you itemize. Linux does,
though. If all the hosts have real (routable) IP addresses, all you need to
do this is a firewalling router, and Linux can do that easily. If you need
to share a single IP address (assigned to the router's external interface)
among some number of clients using private (non-routable; e.g.,
192.168.0.0/16) addresses, Linux's IP Masquerading can do that. The ipchains
capability provides firewalling, the dhcpd daemon will serve out DHCP
leases, and BIND will provide DNS. Again, I can't say about "etc".

If you do actually need a proxy server, there is a standard one available
for Linux. The name slips my mind, but the Firewall HowTo will mention it.

For more background information, I'd suggest you consult the HowTos
available at http://www.linuxdoc.org .

At 08:18 AM 1/31/00 +1300, Craig Brannigan wrote [in part]:
>>This time, tell us what you want Linux to do, more specifically than
>>"perform the same functions" as some (unfamiliar to me) Windows software.
>
>Good point,...Sorry about that.
[descriptions moved above; rest deleted]
Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]