If  "all three machines have their own modems and ... my ISPs all use
dynamic IPs", in what sense are the three a "network"? Are you trying to
network them *through* the ISP(s) somehow? If so, I doubt any "simple,
straightforward set of instructions" for that exists.

For a Linux host running RH 6.0, the PPP HowTo (at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html) is, though getting a bit old
now, still current enough to serve as a guide for setting up a dial-in PPP
connection.

For a Windows 98 host on which you "fiddled" with settings ... well, this is
a *Linux* list, after all ... perhaps you should try the support channels
appropriate to Win98?