I closed and opened emacs, and that caused the following error message
when I then tried to run fetchmail from an emacs shell:

     /home/myuser/.fetchmailrc must be owned by you

I can run fetchmail from an xterm ok, and I can run ppp-on script from
the emacs prompt ok. The xterm is owned by [EMAIL PROTECTED] I
start emacs from a similar xterm, and at the top of emacs appears:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The permissions for /etc/fetchmailrc is read and write for myuser.

When I run a myuser xterm the command # hostname or # echo $HOSTNAME,
I get domain.com returned. I am running fetchmail 5.0 under RH 6.0
stand along desktop. In my /etc/hosts file is single line 127.0/0/1
localhost. In my /etc/host.conf file is single line, order hosts

Haines Brown