On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Carl Lawton wrote:

> Can anyone help,
>
> A small but annoying problem i have is the Num Lock going
> off on the console after boot up. I'm using RH6.0 on PII
> processor and PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
>
> The motherboard bios is set to put the Num Lock on but
> the console always comes up with it off.
>
> Does anybody know  how to get it to default to ON. I am using the
> standard "Linux" terminfo on the console.
>
> TIA
> Carl

Read through man setleds:

setleds [-v] [-L] [-D] [-F] [{+|-}num] [{+|-}caps] [{+|-}scroll]

Setleds reports and changes the led flag settings of a VT (namely NumLock,
CapsLock and ScrollLock).

The led flags settings are specific for each VT (and the VT corresponding
to stdin is used).

With option -D, setleds will change both the VT flags and their default
settings (so that a subsequent reset will not undo the change). This might
be useful for people who always want to have numlock set.

One might use setleds in /etc/rc to define the initial and default state
of NumLock, e.g. by
        INITTY=/dev/tty[1-8]
        for tty in $INITTY; do
                setleds -D +num < $tty