I had a problem installing mandrake 6.1 on a laptop, it hung when it got
to detecting the mouse - it had worked fine with mandrake 6. I never found
out the answer so I stuck 6 back on then did an upgrade instead of the
install and that seemed to keep it happy.

A bit of a bodge but it did the trick...

Dan.