On Fri, 17 Mar 2000,  Niclas Hedhman wrote about,  Re: Redirecting file output:
> Richard Adams wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2000,  Niclas Hedhman wrote about,  Redirecting file output:
> > > Is there any way (I bet there is) where I can have the output of my
> > > Apache Web server logging system to be sent to an application instead on
> > > standard input??
> > >
> > > I basically want to do 3 things;
> > >
> > > a) Filter all access from a couple of machines (>90% of total).
> >
> > I dont quite understand what you mean about filtering, filter what they do,
> > or stop them entering the system,?.
>
> No just filter the output to the log file. Most access is from my local
> systems, and I don't want that to fill up thousands of lines of access log.

If you use a distro like Redhat suse or debian they delete old logs onece a
month, logs get changed every week, so they dont fill up your disk space,
you can change the way the logs rotate in thoses distro's.

If you have slackware a simple script run by crontab once every few days
will take care of the large files.

You can also change the amount of messages via /etc/syslog.conf
man syslog
man syslog.conf

--
Regards Richard