Well here's a yes and no answer, Since Linux is multi user and has file level
security its possible to hide files from any user (except root, I believe)
here's how it goes.

The chmod command alters the file rights on who can read write or execute a
file. File rights look like thing

user group others  filename
rwx rwx     rwx     myfile.txt

where user is "you" (whoever's logged in at the moment)
group is whatever group you place the file in ..usually your own but you can
change it.
others are everyone else on the system

so if I wanted to hide myfile.txt from any user besides me I'd say

"chmod go-rwx myfile.txt"  the "-" removes rights the "+" adds them
translated into english "remove the read, write and execute rights from all
others and anyone in the group this file is assigned to"

Hope this helps.

Darryl