By "direct cable conection", you do mean *Ethernet* cable, right? If not ...
if you mean a serial cable, for example ... you can still do it, but it will
be considerably harder. Remember that a direct-cable Ethernet connection
needs to use a crossover cable (with the send and receive pairs swapped,
sort of analogous to a modem-eliminator cable on serial links).

The usual Slackware floppy startup is based on two disks -- the bootdisk and
the rootdisk. You'll find images of them on the CD, probably in
/bootdsks.144 and /rootdsks.144 (or some similat names). Use rawrite (under
DOS, or a DOS window in Windows) or dd (under Linux) to make floppies from
these images; make sure the floppies themselves have NO BAD SECTORS.

The bootdisk directory will probably include a file called something like
"whichone". Tis is a text file that is a guide to the different bootdisk
images. You'll need one that supports networking and (probably) pcmcia, so
you can install and accees the NIC on the laptop.

This will let you set up your laptop to it can do a network install, from an
NFS mounted directory. I'm afraid I don't know how to NFS-export filesystems
under Win98, so someone else will have to tell you how to make the CD
available for mounting on the Windows side.