On Sat, 18 Mar 2000,  Michael H. Warfield wrote about,  Re: Linux hidden file
equivalent:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 07:32:58AM +0000, Richard Adams wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Mar 2000,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about,  Re: Linux
>hidden file equivalent:
> > > Hi, I'm not sure about other methods, but one simple way to "hide"
> > > a file is to give it a name which begins with a dot (.).
> > > If you then type "ls" you won't see it.
>
> > > Furthermore: if you type "rm *.*" it will not be removed
>
> > No that cant remove a file with a "leading (.)" because you are saying
> > delete files with anything "before" the (.) .
>
> > rm .filename
> > rm -rf .*
>
>       You might want to be a little careful there.  There is a real
> good historical reason why "*" does not match anything begining with a
> '.'!  Think about ".."!  :-)  If you don't have any "single letter
> names (following the dot) then .??* is the safer expression to match
> everything beginning with a dot but skipping dot-dot.  You might find
> that doing an "rm -rf .*" where ".*" matches ".." is likely to have
> unforseen consequences.  :-)

No i dont need to be carefull as i have read the "man page" obviously the
person who said use rm -f *.* has a dos background and has not read the
manuel for rm.

My examples stand for the instance they were given.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]