On 3/19/00 02:09, Ray Olszewski at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>When I've had problems like this, the drive was a goner. Sometimes I was
>lucky enough to be able to mount it ***one more time***, just long enough to
>copy off the important stuff I'd (invevitably) failed to mirror or otherwide
>backup.

Oh, I seem to be able to mount it ok; the swap partition for my slackware
system is on that disk on a different partition and it is going ok so
far.  But I can't boot from it.  And I just tried to use my Slackware
system to tar my home directory on the SuSE system so I could move it
over, and tar choked on one of Netscapes cache directories, saying it was
getting a short read and padding with zeros.  I am going to try it again,
this time only pulling off my school work and some other files I don't
want to lose.  I will also pull off the /etc directory, and then probably
try a reformatting with Partition Magic or something else.

>At 11:53 AM 3/18/00 -0500, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote [in part]:
>
>>hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>>hdc: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=157529
>>sector=157466
>>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:01 (hdc) sector 157466
>>hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>>hdc: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=157531
>>sector=157468
>>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:01 (hdc) sector 157468
>>hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>>hdc: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=157534
>>sector=157471
>>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:01 (hdc) sector 157471

>Ray Olszewski                                        -- Han Solo
>Palo Alto, CA                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,

Sean

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            [EMAIL PROTECTED]