On Thu, 08 Jun 2000,  Antony Stace wrote about,  Sound on DELL Optiplex GXa:
> Hi Folks
>
> Has anyone had experience in setting up sound on a Dell Optiplex GXa
> computer using the sound chips on the mother board.
> Any pointers appreciated.

Yes pointers, but i do not know what chip is used on this type of
motherboard. That you could possably see for yourself with 'demsg',
that is a small program which will read the kernel buffer ring, its only a
small buffer and the kernel keeps writing messages to it, which in turn
means the boot messages may not be there anymore.

In that case check your logs, /var/log/messages syslog.
Redhat copies the kernel buffer ring to /var/log/dmesg, so if you have
Redhat you can always read that file to get boot info.

In the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound directory i did a grep for "Dell"
it produced;

Introduction:the second.  Normally, the cs4232 (Dell sound on the
motherboard)
NM256:  Dell Latitude CPi, CPt (various submodels)
NM256:but don't go whining to me, NeoMagic, Sony, Dell, or anyone else
NM256:is found on some Dell Latitude laptops (the CPt, and apparently

This means some Dell laptops use the NM256 driver.
On the otherhand a lot of recent motherboards have a AWE64 compatable chip.

Maybe someone on this list has one of these boards and can tell you just
what to do.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]