Hi all,

  I've recently installed Linux PPC 2000 (it was easy) on the second
hard drive in my Mac clone (Power Center 180) as a consciousness-raising
exercise. I played with UNIX a few times about ten years ago on Sun
workstations but really know very little about the operating system, so
consider me a true newbie. I'll continue to use the Mac side to actually
do work beyond Web surfing, since Linux PPC has virtually none of the
applications that I need.

  So here are my current problems:

1. I can connect via PPP to my ISP from root but not from the users I've
created. This is inconvenient, and Linuxconf hasn't solved the problem
from any of its menus of permissions. How do I make it possible to dial
out as a non-root user?

2. Likewise with printing, I can print from root but not as a user. How
do I fix this?

3. My Kensington trackball does not work when Linux boots unless I
unplug it and plug it in again; then, it's fine. Is this a DIP switch
setting that must be changed on the trackball?

  More to come. Can somebody help me with these basic problems, please?

-- Tom Dove