Thanks,
I am not reading my mail as root. However, I halt as root and
when therefore I log into root I get the message that there is mail
and then there it all is as explained.
The mail says:"Mail Delivery Subs Postmaster notify: user
unknown"
When I, as user retrieve mail for each mail I get the following
message:
"mail from FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost bounced to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or whatever sender.
The .fetchhmailrc file reads as follows:
set postmaster "peter"
set bouncemail
set properties ""
poll 'server' with proto POP3
user pfheiss with pasword ****** is pfheiss here
limit 30000 warnings 3600 expunge 10
antispam 571 550 501 554

In /etc/aliases everything was set to root
I changed now postmaster to "peter"  and the header mail showed-
up now in my box and part of the message is as folllows:

... while talking to vger.rutgers.edu.:
>>> MAIL From:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
SIZE=2469
<<< 553-5.4.3 Policy analysis reports DNS error with your
<<< 553-5.4.3 source domain.   Please correct your source
<<< 553 5.4.3 address and/or the info at the
DNS: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
501 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Data
format error
550 <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost>... User unknown