There is something more that I can add to this. I ran the program again
today as $./misimul > kar.out &, and was checking the output from time to
time. There is another file (dumpfile) that the program writes to which
was getting populated and I know for a fact that some statements have to
get printed before that file can be written to. (There are some printf()
statements in the code that execute). dumpfile was written to, but kar.out
was of size 0 bytes. I did a tail -f on kar.out and it still showed
nothing. On closing that shell and reopening another one, I found that the
file kar.out had all the data I expected!

What do you think is happening?

Thanks,
-Karthik.