I waited a bit to see if someone with KPPP-specific knowledge would reply.
Not having seen one, I'll say what I can, from a more general pppd perspective.

1. It looks like the dialer piece of the work -- the part Kppp does -- is
being completed. The only thing I am uncertain about is the last expect:
entry (the tilde(~)). Is this a special code to Kppp that tells it to pass
control to pppd, or is Kppp actually waiting for the ISP to send a tilde
character? (Or is it a typo?)

2. Once pppd itself is on control of the connection, it should be logging to
wherever your Linux distribution (which you don't identify anywhere I see)
logs to -- /var/log/messages is something of a standard, but it isn't
universal. See what messages you get from pppd after an unsuccessful
connection. If you aren't getting useful logging, try adding "debug 0" and
kdebug" to your options file.

3. Without seeing /etc/ppp/options, I can't tell you if your settings are
right. Even seeing it, I might not be able to, since a lot of this stuff is
ISP specific.

Sorry if I'm missing something key here. As I said, I don't use Kppp (and
these days I don't use ppp at all).