Thanks for this. This helped with all sorts of things....

I write this and include the whole message for anyone that might have the same
problems that I've had getting X working with the SiS6326 videocard.

It was necessary for me to have "Option no_linear" under the 'devices' section
to get the SVGA driver to work properly. Before I put this option in I was
getting a display that was mostly a black screen and problems with 'scars' on th
e screen when I moved windows around. Menus, for instance, were impossible to
read. Once I put in the no_linear option I was getting a display  that was
fine though, obviously, far from optimal. I could not 'startx -- -bpp 16' becaus
e my display modes could not be resolved (no_linear and bpp 16 are, it seems,
incompatible). Once I removed 'option no_linear' I was able to 'startx -- -bpp 1
6'
 with none of the prior problems.

thank you so much again.
dns.

ps: getting the SiS 6326 card working with X has been a steep learning curve for
 me. none _too_ aided by the many more technical articles I had to read to get t
hings working. But I got there, here, so far so good (and getting better). If th
ese problems, and the problems-solved that have got me here, seem relevant to an
yone, then drop me a line. If I can offer a more novice approach that might hel
p anybody, I'd be glad.