----------
>From: "Bruce Ackman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: linux tar incompatible with SCO Unix tar?
>Date: Wed, Jun 21, 2000, 11:43 PM

I've done a little more experimenting today.
Both tape drives work fine as long as they're reading and writing tapes they
wrote (on the original system they're installed in).  I can't get a tape
written on one to be read by other.  So far I've tar'd (with different
blocking factors tried), I've cat'd text files to the tape device and I've
dd'd.  No luck.
When I try to read a tape written on the SCO box with the Linux machine I
get an error of the type
    st0:Error with sense data: Info fld=0xf44, ILI Current st09:00 sense key
Medium Error (different hex numbers for fld, but you get the picture).
This weekend is my 15th anniversary.  Since I've got nothing better to do,
I'll try making a bunch of tapes on each machine, then swapping the drives
and finding out whether the problem is in the drives or the OS's (I hope I
figure it out)